About Lietz


The school was named after Idella Lietz (December 18, 1914 - August 13, 1958) who as a single parent raised three children: Florence, Ted (Butch) and Johnny. Mrs. Lietz began her teaching career with Union School District on September 1, 1952.

During her six year employment, she taught first and second grade at Union Elementary School and also at Parker Elementary School. Mrs. Lietz is remember as a person who was caring, always giving to others and having an "open ear and heart" to those in need. Those who knew her best fondly called her "Ike." She was well loved by her students, their parents, and her co-workers. For this reason, it was recommended to the Union School District that the new school to be opened in September of 1960 be named after Ike. Idella Lietz Elementary School opened its doors in September of 1960 with seven classrooms, two kindergarten rooms, a music room, a multi-purpose room, a kitchen, and an administration office. Ike's love for children and their education continues at Idella Lietz Elementary School.